An Integrated Development Environment (IDE) or interactive development environment is a software application that provides comprehensive facilities to computer programmers for software development. So the wikipedia.org states.
I’ve compiled a list of the most popular IDEs allowing to evaluate and decide which one works best for your project / suits needs.
Build web applications quickly and easily using the industry’s leading web application IDE. Aptana Studio harnesses the flexibility of Eclipse and focuses it into a powerful web development engine.
Bluefish is a powerful open source editor targeted towards programmers and web developers, with many options to write websites, scripts and programming code. Bluefish supports many programming and markup languages. It’s a multi-platform application that runs on most desktop operating systems including Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS X, Windows, OpenBSD and Solaris released under the GNU GPL licence.
A multifunctional portable IDE, absolutely FREE with all standard features:
Develop more web content, more quickly. A streamlined user interface, connected tools, and new visual CSS editing tools let you code efficiently and intuitively. And now, Dreamweaver® CC lets you share work directly from within the application, and helps you keep up with web standards by giving you access to new features as soon as they’re available. Your entire creative world, together in one place.
The PHP IDE project delivers a PHP Integrated Development Environment framework for the Eclipse platform. This project encompasses the development components necessary to develop PHP-based Web Applications and facilitates extensibility. It leverages the existing Web Tools Project in providing developers with PHP capabilities.
EditPlus is a text editor, HTML editor, PHP editor, Java editor and Hex Viewer for Windows. While it can serve as a good Notepad replacement, it also offers many powerful features for Web page authors and programmers.
- Seamless Web browser for previewing HTML pages, and FTP commands for uploading local files to FTP server.
- Other features include Hex Viewer, HTML toolbar, user tools, line number, ruler, URL highlighting, auto completion, cliptext, column selection, powerful search and replace, multiple undo/redo, spell checker, customizable keyboard shortcuts, and more.
GNU Emacs is an extensible, customizable text editor—and more. At its core is an interpreter for Emacs Lisp, a dialect of the Lisp programming language with extensions to support text editing. The features of GNU Emacs include:
- Content-sensitive editing modes, including syntax coloring, for a variety of file types including plain text, source code, and HTML.
- Complete built-in documentation, including a tutorial for new users.
- Full Unicode support for nearly all human languages and their scripts.
- Highly customizable, using Emacs Lisp code or a graphical interface.
- A large number of extensions that add other functionality, including a project planner, mail and news reader, debugger interface, calendar, and more. Many of these extensions are distributed with GNU Emacs; others are available separately.
jEdit is a mature programmer’s text editor with hundreds (counting the time developing plugins) of person-years of development behind it. To download, install, and set up jEdit as quickly and painlessly as possible, go to the Quick Start page.
The jEdit core, together with a large collection of plugins is maintained by a world-wide developer team. Some of jEdit’s features include:
- Written in Java, so it runs on Mac OS X, OS/2, Unix, VMS and Windows.
- Built-in macro language; extensible plugin architecture. Hundreds of macros and plugins available.
- Plugins can be downloaded and installed from within jEdit using the “plugin manager” feature.
- Auto indent, and syntax highlighting for more than 200 languages.
- Supports a large number of character encodings including UTF8 and Unicode.
- Folding for selectively hiding regions of text.
- Word wrap.
- Highly configurable and customizable.
- Every other feature, both basic and advanced, you would expect to find in a text editor.
- Code folding, split view, multi-window editing, smart syntax checking and highlighting
- Debug PHP, Python, Perl, Ruby, Tcl, Node.js. Local and remote. HTTP Inspector.
- Lighter User Interface: New, cleaner UI. Undock and move side panes. Scroll code via minimap.
- Team Capabilities: Multi-user editing, Stackato Platform-as-a-Service, shared toolbox, version control integration.
- Code Intelligence: Auto-complete and calltips for many languages. Navigate code structure with Code Browser.
- Integrated Tools: Subversion, Mercurial, Git, Perforce, Bazaar, CVS support. Unit testing. Database Explorer.Add-Ons and Customization: Vi, emacs key bindings out-of-the-box. Customize, extend with over 100 add-ons.
- Cross-Platform: Identical features for Mac, Linux and Windows. User-based license: you can install on as many computers and platforms as you use.
- Parsers for Namespaced Annotations (Symfony 2, Doctrine 2, etc.)
- Basic Composer Integration (Dependency Manager for PHP)
- Twig Code Completion (with documentation)
- Smarty Braces Matching for Related Tags
- Smarty Support, Parser Errors of Unmatched Tags
- Profiler: Sampled memory profiling, CPU snapshots comparison, support for Linux ARM machine.
Notepad++ is a free source code editor and Notepad replacement that supports several languages. Running in the MS Windows environment, its use is governed by GPL License.
Based on the powerful editing component Scintilla, Notepad++ is written in C++ and uses pure Win32 API and STL which ensures a higher execution speed and smaller program size. By optimizing as many routines as possible without losing user friendliness, Notepad++ is trying to reduce the world carbon dioxide emissions. When using less CPU power, the PC can throttle down and reduce power consumption, resulting in a greener environment.
- Speed up your coding with tons of time-saving features
- Support all PHP frameworks e.g. Zend, CodeIgniter, Yii, Symfony and Prado
phpDesigner 8 is for developers who wants to create good looking websites, HTML5 web apps or just improve their coding skills.
NuSphere is provider of the best PHP Tools, the home of PhpED – state of the art PHP Editor. Thousands of people use our tools including our PHP IDE with the leading debugging tool for PHP.
- Support for PHP 5.3 and 5.4 for modern and legacy projects
- Code autocompletion, refactorings, on-the-fly error prevention, supports language mixtures and more.
- Code Quality Analysis
- Typed code inspections / verification , analyzing the whole project.
- PHPDoc support, code (re)arranger, code formatter with code style configuration and other features help you write neat code that’s easy to support.
- Version Control Systems integration (Git, Mercurial, SVN, etc), local history, support for remote deployment, SQL and databases, Composer, PHP UML, and integrated REST Client.
- Zero-configuration debugging.
- PHPUnit testing support right from the IDE.
- Profile your applications with Xdebug or Zend Debugger and check aggregated reports in PhpStorm.
- Single license key allows to run your IDE on any Windows, Mac OS or Linux.
Sublime Text is a sophisticated text editor for code, markup and prose. You’ll love the slick user interface, extraordinary features and amazing performance.
- Goto Anything to open files with only a few keystrokes, and instantly jump to symbols, lines or words.
- Multiple Selections to make ten changes at the same time, not one change ten times.
- Command Palette holds infrequently used functionality, like sorting, changing the syntax and changing the indentation settings so you don’t have to look for them deep through the menus or remember obscure key bindings.
- Distraction Free Mode to help you out when you need to focus.
- Wide or multiple-monitors split editing support.
- Instant Project Switch automatically saves your current work with no extra prompt for action allowing to come back to its latest state.
- Customize Anything e.g. key bindings, menus, snippets, macros, completions and more with simple JSON files.
- Python based plugin API along with a built in Python console to interactively experiment in real time.
- Cross-platform available for OS X, Windows and Linux.
TextMate brings Apple’s approach to operating systems into the world of text editors. By bridging UNIX underpinnings and GUI, TextMate cherry-picks the best of both worlds to the benefit of expert scripters and novice users alike.
- Ability to Search and Replace in a Project
- Auto-Indent for Common Actions Like Pasting Text
- Auto-Pairing of Brackets and Other Characters
- Clipboard History
- Column Selections and Column Typing
- Completion of Words from Current Document
- CSS-like Selectors to Pinpoint the Scope of Actions and Settings
- Declarative Language Grammars for Graceful Mixing and Hacking
- Dynamic Outline for Working With Multiple Files
- Expand Trigger Words to Code Blocks With Tab-able Placeholders
- File Tabs when Working With Projects
- Foldable Code Blocks
- Function Pop-up for Quick Overview and Navigation
- Plug-able Through Your Favorite Scripting Language
- Recordable Macros With No Programming Required
- Regular Expression Search and Replace (grep)
- Run Shell Commands from Within a Document
- Support for Darcs, Perforce, SVK, and Subversion
- Support for More Than 50 Languages
- Switch Between Files in Projects With a Minimum of Key Strokes
- Themable Syntax Highlight Colors
- Visual Bookmarks to Jump Between Places in a File
- Works As External Editor for (s)ftp Programs
- Works Together With Xcode and Can Build Xcode Projects
Vim is a highly configurable text editor built to enable efficient text editing. It is an improved version of the vi editor distributed with most UNIX systems.
Microsoft Visual Studio provides many new capabilities to support development on the latest platforms with modern lifecycle tools to make it easier for teams to deliver value continuously. Visual Studio Updates help ensure you always have the best solution for building modern applications and for managing the modern application lifecycle.
Xcode is Apple’s powerful integrated development environment for creating great apps for Mac, iPhone, and iPad. Xcode includes the Instruments analysis tool, iOS Simulator, and the latest Mac OS X and iOS SDKs.
The Xcode interface seamlessly integrates code editing, UI design with Interface Builder, testing, and debugging, all within a single window. The embedded Apple LLVM compiler underlines coding mistakes as you type, and is even smart enough to fix the problems for you automatically.
Zend Studio is the only Integrated Development Environment (PHP IDE) designed for professional developers that encompasses all the development components necessary for the full PHP application lifecycle.
- Build complete cloud-connected mobile apps
- Develop faster and more productively
- Write Zend Framework 2 code more efficiently
- Develop in the Cloud with Red Hat or Zend Developer Cloud
- Use the latest PHP release and the latest Eclipse platform
- Now includes 12 months of support and upgrades